Director of Music
St Margaret's, Oxford
Cynthia Hall MA, FRCO
St Giles', Oxford
|This event marked 300 years of continuous choral tradition at St Mary’s, and Banbury's 400th anniversary of becoming a mayoral town; James I granted its charter on June 28th 1608.
We sang rousing hymns and anthems, along with music by William Crotch (1775-1847), organist at St Mary's in the Georgian period. NB: Robes will not be worn.
|1) Songs of praise the angels sang (Northampton)
2) And did those feet (Jerusalem)
3) Comfort, O Lord (Crotch, 1775-1847)
4) Psalm 84 (Crotch in G)
5) Glorious things of thee are spoken (Austria)
6) Love divine (Blaenwern)
| 7) All my hope on God is founded (Michael)
8) Zadok the Priest – Handel (1685-1759)
9) O Jesus, I have promised (Wolvercote)
10) Now thank we all our God (Nun danket)
11) Hallelujah Chorus - Handel
St Mary's Church is a splendid Georgian church in the centre of Banbury, on the Horsefair: Map .
(all free after 6pm)
(Pay and Display & NCP: 24 hrs charge)
Extracts from the preface to
Songs of Praise