RSCM crest
 

RSCM logo Oxford
Come, let us join our cheerful songs

Singing Tour of Churches in the North of the Diocese of Oxford: Bank Holiday Monday, May 1st 2006

The churches and the music:
1. Broughton, St Mary
Introit: Cantate Domino (Pitoni); Preces (Sanders); Psalm 149
2. Wroxton, All Saints'
1st lesson; Office hymn: The sad apostles (Plainsong); Magnificat (Stanford in C)
3. Horley, St Etheldreda
2nd lesson; Nunc Dimittis (Stanford in C)
4. Cropredy, St Mary
Apostles' Creed; Responses and Collects (Sanders); Anthem: This joyful Eastertide (Wood)
5. Claydon, St James
Sermon/Prayers; Final hymn: Disposer supreme (Ravenscroft/Vaughan Williams)
Singing Tour at Boughton Church Opening service: Broughton

led by
the Revd Canon
Timothy Wimbush

2 - 6 pm
starting and ending at
Deddington Church
Conductor: Terence Carter
Organist: Jane Palmer

Around 60 singers rehearsed Evensong in Deddington Church, and then sang the parts of the service successively in a number of North Oxfordshire churches, going from one to the other by coach, and returning to Deddington Church, visiting the churches of Broughton, Wroxton, Horley, Cropredy and Claydon, where they had a cream tea and visited the Bygones Museum, before returning to Deddington.

The churches:
1) Deddington St Peter and St Paul is built of local stone, and dates back to the 13th century. In 1634 the steeple collapsed and crashed into the body of the church. King Charles I ordered enough money to be raised to rebuild the current tower flanked by massive buttresses and topped with eight gold weather vanes. Statues representing SS Peter and Paul stand on the west tower.
2) Broughton St Mary the Virgin also has 13th century origins, and stands as part of the Broughton Castle estate, home to the Fiennes family. It has a 13th century Norman font, a 14th century rood screen, and a 15th century gateway tower.
3) Wroxton All Saints'
4) Horley
St Etheldreda
5) Cropredy
St Mary the Virgin stands in a settlement mentioned in the Doomsday Book. It is the site of the 1644 Civil War Battle of Cropredy Bridge. Parts of the church date back to the 11th century.
6) Claydon St James the Great dates back to 1150. Outside the village lies Clattercote Priory, now a private house, with which the church had strong connections.

 

About us | Area Awards | Choristers' Prayer | Contact us | Deputies | Events | Events Archive | Festivals Archive | Hefadquarters | Links | Membership | Salary Scales | Site Map | Vacancies
©2005 RSCM Oxford/Cynthia Hall